29 September 2010

Stone Paper (no scissors).

 I found this at Urbanwrite, the stationery shop:



















Haha! Stone paper!

It costs about $3.80 and there are about 70 plus pages (estimate), which means that a lot of sketchings if you use both sides (not for me though...)

The paper has an extremely smooth texture (though it felt rather strange at first.. almost too smooth) and slightly powdery to the touch.. The pages are also slightly off white, understandbly, since no bleach was added, so don't expect super white paper! I love how the book is square!

I love square sketch books!
The best materials that I have tried working it with are definitely pencils. Ink takes too long to dry, and leaves indentations on the next page (the pencils can too, if you press too hard. Thing is, you won't have to press really hard to get a darker colour!) Plus the paper kind of "absorbs" the ink, and you might get a smudgy effect. However, it also depends on the type of pen in used. I tried it with a 0.7 ink pen and it just started to smudge. A 0.38 ink pen worked much better in a sense that the colours actually stayed the way they were.

Watercolour doesn't hold very well (which is a duh).. workable, but messy and it doesn't "stick" to the paper. I have not tried acrylic, but I think it might work better.

Each page is rather thin, so I could see the image behind. It could be interesting to do ome effect in which the image behind would affect the one in front... perhaps some kind of flip book? I have to explore it further.

I'm not familiar with thin papers, and I enjoy working with thick papers, mainly cartridge paper, especially for watercolors, since it would need to hold water. Even for drawings I tend to pick thicker papers. But this has been alright so far. It takes quite a bit of getting used to (or not!).


I used in to draw first, and create the shadows. Colour pencils glide on smoothly, and the colour comes out quite nicely.

I had a obsession with my feet.. I always feel like my veins were too ugly and protruding.. But i have leant to love them a bit more, so feet (and veins), this is a tribute to you!


See how thin the paper is? A bit of watercolour was used on the bunny (Bunny!).. the ink used just kept smudging and it took forever to dry (about five to ten minutes).. I used watercolour pencils to colour some parts and swished water to turn it into watercolour..


One of my most patient and best models.
















An eyelash curler, in case you ere wondering, or have never used one befoe. Heh. I tend to have to curl my non-existent eyelashes most of the time even if I don't coat my lashes with mascara.

I used a 2B and 4B pencil for this one.











I shall be on the lookout for new papers and materials to draw/ paint on. I am feeling experimental these days!

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment